Nike's Psyche

An outlet for my peaceful ponderings with, perhaps, the occasional rant.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

I found myself weeping


I found myself weeping this morning as I read a couple of articles about Israel and Lebanon and how it's affecting Christians, Jews and Muslims alike. For example, Hezbollah is firing its rockets from between Christian homes in southern Lebanon forcing Israelis to return the fire and destroying those Christian homes in the process. That's just one example. It breaks my heart.

And while quotes about peace are all but useless, it makes me feel better to know there are like-minded people out there.

The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.


Black Elk (1863-1950)

In some ways, the challenges are even more daunting than they were at the peak of the cold war. Not only do we continue to face grave nuclear threats, but those threats are being compounded by new weapons developments, new violence within States and new challenges to the rule of law.

Kofi Annan

There is no trust more sacred than the one the world holds with children. There is no duty more important than ensuring that their rights are respected, that their welfare is protected, that their lives are free from fear and want and that they grow up in peace.

Kofi Annan

And finally:

Peace is the only battle worth waging.

Albert Camus (1913-1960)

7 Comments:

  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On his way to the cross, Jesus said, "Don't weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children." Watching CNN overthe past two weeks that saying makes a lot of sense.

    -Frank

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good post on peace and weeping. How many tears has Jesus wept over this.

    Welcome to revgalblogpals

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thanks for the peace quotes. I too have found myself crying at the news. We have bcome members of revgalblogpals the same week...it's nice to be in good company.
    Peace
    Amy

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Welcome to the ring!

    It really breaks my heart when I think about the war -- especially in relation to how it affects children (as per Kofi Annan's quote).

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm in this place myself.
    Welcome to the Ring!

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Cathy said…

    You have been featured on http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/

    Welcome to a great group!

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger CS said…

    I've yet to find a war that doesn't break my heart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
RevGalBlogPals
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next