Nike's Psyche

An outlet for my peaceful ponderings with, perhaps, the occasional rant.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

An Irenic Fable


"Tell me the weight of a snowflake," a coal-mouse asked a wild dove.
"Nothing more than nothing," was the answer.
"In that case, I must tell you a marvelous story," the coal-mouse said. "I sat on a branch of fir, close to its trunk, when it began to snow, not heavily, not in a giant blizzard, no, just like in a dream, without any violence. Since I didn't have anything better to do, I counted the snowflakes settling on the twigs and needles of my branch. Their number was exactly 3,741,952. When the next snowflake dropped onto the branch--nothing more than nothing, as you say--the branch broke off."
Having said that, the coal-mouse flew away. The dove, since Noah's time an authority on the the matter, thought about the story for a while and finally said to herself: "Perhaps there is only one person's voice lacking for peace to about in the world."
New Fables Thus Spoke "The Carabou" by Kurt Kauter
Like the dove, I had to think about this for awhile, pondering the many times I have told myself to take some action toward a more peaceful earth and never finding the time. And so, I have to ask myself, "Am I that one voice? If I actually followed through and looked into making a stand, would I no longer be "nothing more than nothing"?

1 Comments:

  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger CS said…

    You'd be something more than nothing, which is, at least, a start. (What's a coal mouse?) C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
RevGalBlogPals
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next